Because getting your identity stolen and trying to fix this issue is not fun.
There are three major types of identity theft with 37 standard groups.
Financial Identity Theft
Financial identity theft most commonly occurs when the Social Security Number (SSN) and name is used to establish new lines of credit. The victim is left with a mess to clean up.
Criminal Identity Theft
Criminal identity theft typically occurs when a person “borrows” the information to get a Driver’s License (DL) or when caught in a criminal act.
Identity cloning is when the identity is fraudulently used for financial, criminal and governmental purposes.
LIFELOCK identity theft can help.
According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) in 2007, identity theft complaints are broken down as follows:
- 23% - a credit card was opened in their name
- 18% - the thief established new telephone, cellular, or another service in their name
- 13% - a bank account was opened in their name, or unauthorized withdrawals had been made from their account
- 5% - the thief obtained a loan in their name
- 11% - the thief obtained a fraudulent document such as a driver’s license